Sunday, March 30, 2008

Serby Q&A With Lemon

Bobby Murcer is the subject of Steve Serby's Sunday Q&A in today's New York Post. Here are a few tidbits:

Q: First time you saw Yankee Stadium?

A: I just was mind-boggled by how big it was when I walked out on the field. I thought to myself, "Oh my goodness, how am I ever gonna catch a fly ball in this place?"

Q: You didn't appreciate Gaylord Perry's spitball, so you sent him a gallon of lard.

A: I think I got the clubhouse kid to get it. I just asked him to get me some pure, old grease.

Q: Toughest pitcher?

A: Mickey Lolich.

Q: Funniest teammate?

A: Sparky Lyle.

Murcer called Thurman Munson "one of the [greatest] clutch hitters of all time." Delivering Munson's eulogy was something Murcer said he "wanted to" and "had to" do.

No comments: