Sunday, November 11, 2007

Posada May Be In Hand

Lohud reports Jorge Posada may be close to completing a deal with the Yanks, though he also seems committed to hitting free agency. He offers some Joe Girardi cuddling comments and expressed the Yankees as "better than 50/50" to retain the 36 year-old backstop.

Posada going out of his way to compliment the new Yankees manager seems to be the most telling portion of the interview. In many ways such comments are the precursor to a signed deal and subsequent press conference where Rick Cerone and Randy Levine fall all over themselves patting each other on the back.

From Peter Abraham:

Update on his situation: “We’re working on it. We’re working with the Yankees. We’re going to hear from the Mets tomorrow. I have no idea. … I would like to stay with the Yankees. My heart is with the Yankees, so hopefully we can get something done.

Does he want to stay with Yankees? “That would be the first choice, yes.”

Are you going to listen to other teams: “Yes.”

Are you in the driver’s seat? “Yeah. Yeah. We’re really close. It’s not about the money. For me, it’s the best situation.”

On Joe Girardi: “I love Joe. You know, Joe’s like a big brother to me. He’s been a big brother to me since like ‘96, so hopefully I’m hopefully looking forward to working with him.”

Are chances better than 50-50 you’ll be a Yankee? “Yes. Right now it’s up in the air, but the chances are good.”

Can somebody forward this to AndyPettitte@Houston.com? Thanks.

No comments: