Saturday, January 5, 2008

Cashman: "Things Have Changed"

During a charity event at Fenway Park today, Brian Cashman told reporters his job as Yankees GM has changed with the influx of new ownership.

From LoHud:

For the first time in public, Cashman admitted what has become increasingly evident: That his job has changed since the Steinbrenner sons took control of the team.

“Things have changed here in the third year,” he said. “I’m learning as I go along, too. But it is different. But one thing is that I’ve been with this family, the Steinbrenner family, for well over 20 years. So I’m focused fully on doing everything I possibly can to assist them in their emergence now as decision makers.”

Cashman’s contract runs out in October. Asked whether he wanted to return, he didn’t answer directly.

"At the end of the day, if you have an opportunity to build something and be a leader in that situation, you stick to it. It's your way and you find a way to stick to it, despite the media pressures, the ownership pressures, the fans' pressures and realize, 'You know what? I believe in what I'm doing and I'll stick to it as long as you give me the opportunity and then get judged on the results at the end of the day.'"

Following the panel discussion, Cashman fielded questions on everything from dealing with the Steinbrenner brothers to Roger Clemens and the Mitchell Report.

"Everybody has their own style," Cashman said of the Steinbrenners. "And Hank has obviously taken charge on behalf of his father, along with his brother, Hal. They have different styles. Hal is more quiet and Hank is very available, but my job is to continue to line up the structure of the organization that can find the amateur talent."

“Because of all the work that gets involved with doing the job, it kind of prevents me from really looking ahead past this year,” he said. “I’m just doing everything I possibly can to assist the transition with the new manager, the new owners, with the involvement now with the Steinbrenner sons. And then the rest will take care of itself at another time.”

Nothing surprising from the report, other than the fact that Hank Steinbrenner has yet to issue a public rebuttle... yet.

No comments: