Monday, January 7, 2008

The Tape, The Ape and The Trainer

I just heard WFAN's broadcast of the tape recording of a phone conversation which took place on Friday, January 4th.
Pete Abe quickly explains the craziness of the today's Clemens press conference as well as outline one of the strangest phone calls to be released on ESPN, YES, etc:

Clemens just asked McNamee (on the tape) “Why would you say I did steroids?”

McNamee didn’t say, “Well, because you did.” Instead he keeps saying, “What do you want me to do, Roger?”

This is pretty ugly. McNamee doesn’t sound like a well man whatsoever. He’s on the verge of tears. This will play well for Clemens.

UPDATE, 5:37 p.m.: I’m no lawyer but can you tape record a conversation like that? This is wild stuff.

UPDATE, 5:41 p.m.: Hardin says Clemens will go to Congress next week.

UPDATE, 5:42 p.m.: I’ve been around Clemens at various times since 1996 or so. I’ve never seen him this furious.

UPDATE, 5:43 p.m.: Hardin says taping the call was legal. Seems like Clemens set him up. His lawyers were in the room.

UPDATE, 5:45 p.m.: Going on 60 Minutes, doing this press conference and the McNamee tape will gain Roger a lot of support in the public, I suspect. If he does well in Washington, he could swing this thing his way.


Clemens continuously asks McNamee why he said Clemens did steroids and the trainer repeatedly replies with "what do you want me to do?" Obviously, McNamee is feeling remorse for his actions.

Whether this regret spurs from lying or telling the truth remains to be seen. Whatever the case, McNamee's shown himself to be a truly disturbed individual at the time of the recorded phone call.

As the syringe turns, so do the days of our lives. This did not change my mind at all, you?

No comments: