Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Girardi Mentality

From yesterday comes a Tyler Kepner piece illuminating the intensity which carried Joe Girardi to the major leagues as a player and now the Yankees bench as a manager:
I couldn’t help but think of the Jedi Master from Star Wars on Friday when hearing an anecdote from Matt Treanor, the Florida Marlins catcher who played for Girardi in 2006.

Yoda’s most famous quote, of course, was: “Do, or do not. There is no try.” Turns out Girardi believes the same thing.

“He expects you to get the job done,” Treanor said. “One time in spring training, somebody said, ‘I’m going to try to do this.’ I remember his comment was, ‘I can get a truck driver to try.’

“So basically that means, you’re out there to do it, by whatever means you have to do it.”

I can get a truck driver to try. Got to love that.

No comments: