Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hal Stein Speaks Again

Ed Price of The Star Ledger has the latest Q&A with Mr. GQ, Hal Steinbrenner. As was the case in earlier interviews with the younger half of the Brothers Steinbrenner, Hal comes across as most money-men do - i.e. boring.

There was this part about the offseason nonmoves:

So is life a lot different for you than a year ago?

Yes. But it's been great. I'm very excited about these young pitchers we've got.

Watching the Super Bowl ... the one great thing I really got out of it was watching Eli Manning, who -- you know better than I do -- struggled a bit when he first got there. And the lesson to be learned, that hopefully our fans have learned, is that if you're patient with young talent, great things can happen. That's all I could think of when I saw him on the field at the end with that trophy.

Having spent a lot of time in New York in the offseason, which I did because of the stadium, every person that came up to me said, "Good job not trading (Phil) Hughes, good job not getting rid of the young kids." So I think they are going to be patient, and hopefully these kids will do as good as we think.

No comments: