Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Cano Gives Clemens 22 Reasons

Reading through my daily fix of the New York Post, I came across an interesting article. In an apparent recruiting strategy, the New York Yankees have instructed second baseman, Robinson Cano, to give up his #22 jersey in hopes of paving a Clemens comeback. No news on whether Robbie will be forced to give up his favorite spot in the dugout as well.

Cano will be wearing the #24 in the 2007 season and the Yankees hope Roger will be wearing #22 again. I'm not sure whose brilliant idea this was, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not Roger's enormous ego would be smitten with such an accommodation. I find it hard to believe that a grinning Brian Cashman exulted to his underlings in a dark conference room, "I've got it! . . . We'll give him his jersey number back!!"

Nonetheless, Cano's professionalism should not be overlooked:

"I was happy to give up the number to a future Hall of Famer if Roger comes aboard," Cano said in a statement. "Hopefully, he will be one of my teammates, I'll have the pleasure of playing with him."

Cano, who had a terrific second half after returning from a hamstring injury, already had revealed himself as a selfless team player. Last winter, before the Yanks signed Johnny Damon, he volunteered to play center field if the club wanted.
That's odd. A Yankee second baseman who volunteers to play in the outfield? Just kidding, I still wish Soriano was in pinstripes, but it's nice to see Cano remaining somewhat grounded.

*
Only 24 days away from Spring Training, and the JD Drew deal has not been resolved. As Jeff Horrigan writes, Boston ain't worried.

No comments: