Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cash: Payroll's Too High

Brian Cashman is sick and tired of being chided as a baseball executive operating under an unlimited bank account. After watching the Yankees fail to win a World Series with an escalating payroll, Cashman reiterated to the AP yesterday it's time to cut down on expenses.

"We are high," Yankees GM Brain Cashman said in an interview with ESPN 1050 New York's Andrew Marchand. "If I could get our payroll lower [I would]. It is not going to happen -- not this year. But we have, at the end of the year, a lot of numbers coming off. The combination of building our farm stystem and getting our salary lines back to where they probably need to be. That's a process, too, and that takes some time. I'm not particularly proud that we have the highest payroll in the game.

"I just don't think you are going to get the type of bang for your buck at the type of dollars that you are paying."

"I don't think anyone is promised tomorrow," Cashman said. "It is something I don't really think about it. All I really care about, every day that I have had this job, is doing the best job I can while I've got it because I've had the fortunate side of having the rare opportunity of being one of 30 GMs in the game. While I do it, I'm going to do everything in my power to do the right way."
With Hal Steinbrenner supporting his financial conservatism and Hank publicly lobbying for Cashman to stay, it's altogether possible the Yankees GM re-signs for another three seasons. Contrarily, Hank Steinbrenner could just as easily dispatch Cashman should the Yankees fall short of the playoffs - or of the owner's expectations.

Hank's already begun griping over Cashman's decision to pass up Johan Santana - as well as place blame on the Yankees front office should Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy collectively add up to a six month season.

No comments: