Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Enemy: Manny & Red Light

· Manny Ramirez wants to be like Julio Franco:
“Every year is the same,” Ramirez added when asked if he was excited about heading to spring training. “I look forward to ’08, ’09 and maybe move on.”

Ramirez, who has been working out at API since early December, is clearly focused on making the Red Sox [team stats]’ decision whether or not to pick up his $20 million team option for ’09 a difficult one. Another thing that is certain is that Manny has no intention of drifting off into the sunset after the completion of his current contract, which also includes a $20 million team option for 2010.

“I want to be like Julio Franco and play until I’m 48,” said Ramirez, who is planning on leaving Arizona early next week. “And if you want to do it, this is the right place to come."

48 huh? Let's get ourselves to Spring trainings and through full seasons without phantom "injuries" at 38 years old first.


·
Curt Schilling loves himself some Sean Casey:
I heard yesterday that we signed Sean Casey. To have someone of his talent come here as a potential platoon player and role filler is huge.

I’ve known Sean and competed against him for a long time. I think he’s gotten the best of me more than I on him.

I have never had him as a teamate until now but I can assure you this guy is pretty much one of the classiest and most respected players in all of baseball.

In addition to being as likable as anyone I’ve ever met, I’ve never heard anyone have anything to say other than what a fantastic teammate and person he and his wife are.

This is a huge piece, even though it might not appear so on the surface. Theo continues to show extraordinary ability to bring players here that most likely could play everyday somewhere else to fill vital and important roles on this club.

Awww. Looks like somebody's making peace with Red Sox management. Maybe his Sean-love will translate into a less belt busting version of a the Red Light come this Spring training.

No comments: