Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sabathia: Talks Can Wait

If CC is to remain a Cleveland Indian, he will have to work something out at the end of the season as other big market clubs wait to make offers as well. According to his website via an AP report, Sabathia is quoted as saying "there will be time after the season...to discuss my contract status."

From the article:

On Sabathia's Web site, he posted this message: "This offseason, through my representatives at Legacy Sports Group, I have discussed the possibility of a contract extension with the Cleveland Indians. At this time, we haven't been able to reach agreement. Now that the reporting date for spring training is here, it is time to put aside contract discussions so that I can focus all of my energies and attention on preparing for the upcoming season.

"I look forward to a successful 2008 season, both for myself and for the Indians as a whole."

"I will do everything within my power to help the club to its first World Series appearance since 1997 and its first World Series Championship since 1948.

"There will be time after the season for the Indians and my representatives to discuss my contract status. I remain hopeful that these discussions will result in a contract extension that will keep me with the franchise for many years to come. In the meantime, in order to avoid any distractions, my representatives and I will not make any further comment about my contractual situation beyond this statement."

The article also says Sabathia and his agent broke off talks with Cleveland after they offered the lefthander a contract extension of four years at $17 or $18 million per season.

No comments: